Yoga is a popular form of exercise for many people across the world due to its mix of meditation, exercise, and stretching. The popular brand P90X that has gained popularity over the years for its intense 90 minute HIIT workouts has joined the yoga train by introducing P90X Yoga. Here is everything you need to know about the newest workout the brand has added.
What Is P90X Yoga?
First, we should clarify what P90X is. P90X is an at-home exercise system that was created by a famous trainer named Tony Horton. It claims to transform bodies and lifestyles in the comfort of your own home; with no gym membership fees. P90X comes with 12 DVDs, each devoted to a particular exercise or body part. If you do not have a DVD player or do not like the thought of purchasing a physical copy of P90X, you can also stream the workouts on demand.Among the 12 DVDs is one specifically devoted to yoga, and it has actually gained the reputation as one of the hardest exercises in the set. If you think of a typical yoga class, they are typically an hour long, primarily low intensity with small movements, and a relaxing form of exercise where you can clear your mind and focus on your body.Horton has taken a different approach to his yoga practice, which he adopted from a form of yoga called power yoga. For starters, P90X Yoga is longer than most yoga classes at around 90 minutes long. Horton does speak for a short time in the beginning so not all 90 minutes are practicing yoga, but if you do choose to try P90X Yoga, be prepared for a long session.Power yoga can be described as an amped up more intense version of yoga. It is more fitness-based and less stretching or vinyasa-style yoga, which is the style of yoga most are aware of. It should be noted that P90X Yoga is extremely hard to even the fittest of individuals.In order to counteract the advanced aspect of this program, Horton splits the screen into four sections showing different moderations to moves depending on your skill level. This being said, even the beginner level is an intense workout. Yoga is an extremely hard exercise and does need to be practiced and kept up with often to keep your skill level up. If this is your first time trying yoga, do not get discouraged as it does take a lot of practice.
P90X Yoga Product Specs
P90X Yoga is one DVD out of 12 that are included in Tony Horton’s complete P90X exercise system. Each DVD is dedicated to a different type of workout. When combined, these DVDs allow you to keep up with a full body transformation workout system from the comfort of your own home. In order to obtain P90X Yoga, you do have to purchase the complete 12-set DVD exercise routine or purchase an online subscription to the entire program online.
In order to obtain the P90X Yoga system, you must purchase Tony Horton’s complete 12-DVD P90x system. This system retails for around $$$ and can be purchased from numerous places, both online or in-store. If you do not have a DVD player or do not likethe idea of purchasing physical copies of his workout routine, you can also purchase an online subscription where you will be able to access all workouts from anywhere on demand. However, just like the DVD set, you will be paying for all of his workouts and not just his yoga class.
How It Compares
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
Where To Buy
Muscle Confusion technique accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus
DDPY’s incredible transformations have been features on Shark Tank, The Doctors, Good Morning America, The New York Times, and more.
PiYo combines the muscle-sculpting, core-firming benefits of Pilates with the strength and flexibility advantages of yoga
Easy-to-follow 21-day portion control system with 7 color-coded food containers
P90X DVD Workout Base Kit, Home Gym Bodyweight Exercise Program, No Workout Equipment Needed, Nutrition Guide Included, 12 Fitness DVDs
- P90X DVD WORKOUT PLAN: P90X includes 12 sweat-inducing, muscle-pumping workouts, designed to help transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days.
- CHALLENGE YOUR MUSCLES: Get lean, bulk up, or grow stronger, with an endless variety of mix-and-match routines. Muscle confusion technique accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus.
- 12 DVDS: Collection of 12 highly diverse and intense DVD workouts across 12 DVDs. P90X is perfect whether you’re looking to support a healthier lifestyle or reach your fitness goals. No weight set, dumbbell set or exercise equipment required.
- INCLUDES NUTRITION PLAN: Also includes a comprehensive nutrition plan, workout calendar, fitness guide, and How to Bring It DVD with an overview of the P90X system. Great for cardio training to get your heart rate up.
- PERSONAL TRAINER Tony Horton will keep you engaged every step of the way. Great for all fitness levels. Supports your weight loss and muscle building goals.
3.9 Out of 5 Stars
You will pay around $$$ for Tony Horton’s complete 12-set DVD system workout. One of the DVDs contains the P90X yoga routine.
ease of use
Participating in P90X yoga is easy. It does not require a gym membership, which is always good news. However, you do have to purchase the entire 12-set DVD Tony Horton exercise program in order to get the yoga DVD. If you are only interested in doing yoga, this is probably not the most adequate financial choice. You can also purchase an online subscription through their website, but again, you will have access to all workouts and will be paying for all workouts.
If you are an advanced yogi that is experienced and is aware of proper alignment and is capable of noting their physical maximum potential and limitations, this system is great. If you are a brand new yogi, it is probably not the best program to start off with. This is because yoga is centeredaround alignment which is something a teacher really needs to help you learn in person. Horton presses his students to push themselves which, during some exercises, is good. However, during yoga, pushing yourself too hard can lead to improper positions, incorrect alignment, and potential injury.
- You are able to exercise in the comfort of your own home
- There are modifications to fit all skill levels
- You must purchase the entire 12-DVD system in order to obtain the yoga program
- Beginner yogis may have trouble mastering the positions correctly without a teacher on site
- It is more of a power yoga
DDP YOGA NOW
- All the original, life-changing DDP YOGA workouts
- DDPY REBUILD programs and workouts designed for individuals with limited mobility (Bed Workouts, Chair Workouts)
- Workouts for kids and expecting moms (prenatal)
- Weekly live-streamed workouts featuring Diamond Dallas Page
- Detailed, interactive fitness tracking to keep you motivated
3.8 Out of 5 Stars
DDP Yoga was developed by a professional wrestler and is not your everyday yoga class. DDP Yoga is not exactly yoga. It is a workout routine that has yoga elements but is not solely a yoga practice. If you do try out DDP Yoga, you will find yourself doing pushups and dynamic resistance. DDP Yoga is great for strength building and flexibility due to its incorporation of dynamic resistance practices which basically means you are tensing your muscles during every move, even when you are simply standing.Through this yoga system, you are really focusing on each individual muscle and meticulously moving them to create strength and improve balance.
DDP Yoga starts at around $$ and goes up depending on what you would like included in your workout package. These can be purchased on their site and will be shipped to you, or you can pay a subscription fee for their app where you can access these workouts anywhere.
ease of use
If you have a DVD player, access to the internet, or a smartphone, DDP Yoga is accessible. You can either buy the complete DVD set or pay for their monthly app and access the workouts from anywhere.
DDP is an at-home video-based workout system. DDP Yoga has various levels of expertise within the video. The creator, DDP, is always in the middle of the group doing the most advanced moves, and all around him are always two to four other individuals showing you different modifications and movements that you can use as necessary. To help make this workout as easy and safe as possible, the instructor shows you what you should and shouldn’t do during each exercise. This portion of the video is to ensure you do not accidentally injure yourself by doing a move incorrectly.Also included are breathing and posture exercises which are extremely important in yoga, but are often overlooked. In addition, these workouts range between around 12 minutes to an hour and a half depending on where you are in his workout system and your level of skill.
- Teaches you how to breathe and have correct posture
- Different time variations
- Not traditional yoga
- More strength training than vinyasa
Chalene Johnson's PiYo Base Kit, DVD Workout with Exercise Videos + Fitness Tools and Nutrition Guide, Home Gym Bodyweight Workouts Program, Meals Plans and Tape Measure Included, 3 DVDs
- LOW IMPACT HOME WORKOUTS: Follow the workout, schedule your weeks, and meal prep for results! All you need is your body weight to complete these at-home workouts. PiYo is a fat-burning workout that’s gentle on your body with modifications from beginner to advanced.
- MUSCLE-SCULPTING & FLEXIBILITY: PiYo combines the muscle-sculpting, core-firming benefits of Pilates with the strength and flexibility advantages of yoga. Transform your glutes and core for next-level strength and tightening.
- 30 MINUTE ROUTINES: The short, fun 30 minute routines fit into your busy lifestyle. Piyo cranks up the speed to deliver a true fat-burning, low-impact workout that leaves your body looking long, lean, and incredibly defined.
- EASY TO FOLLOW WORKOUTS: Includes 10 easy-to-follow and easy-to-learn workouts on 3 DVDs, Quick Start Guide, and a Workout Calendar to keep you on track and motivated. Moves come with simplified modifications, great for all workout levels.
- BONUS MEAL PLANS: Includes a Get Lean Eating Plan & Tape Measure. Workout equipment is not required! Packed with low-impact movies that are super fun and help support weight loss and muscle building goals.
3.8 Out of 5 Stars
Piyo is a mix of pilates and yoga. It will work on your strength and flexibility and has the potential to tone your muscles and posture. It is a two-month program that gets increasingly more challenging. Workouts range from 25 to 45 minutes. You begin with shorter classes and by the end of the two months will be mastering the entire 45-minute class. The idea is that you will build up endurance and expertisewhen it comes to the poses.The first month is easier than the second. During the second month, the instructor will go through the movements faster and add in new movements. That being said, there is always an individual on the screen showing pose modifications, so if you are struggling with a particular pose, do not worry, you will be able to modify it.
Piyo is a program developed by a brand called Beach Body. Through Beach Body’s site, you can purchase the full Piyo system for around $$. Included in the system are three different DVDs with seven different classes for your Piyo experience.
ease of use
This is the perfect at-home workout system if you are interested in yoga and pilates. It comes in a three-DVD set with seven different classes. Or you can partake in their subscription plan where you are able to access all workouts from anywhere.
The way this workout system was created is a really good starting point for beginners. The first month is taken at a relatively slow pace. It focuses on mastering moves and ensuring you are safe and will not cause any injuries. The second month takes those moves and really amps them up. During the second month, you will go through the moves faster and will be introduced to new moves which are possible through the skills you learned during the first month.However, throughout the entire series, there are individuals showing modifications on the screen, so if you are still having trouble, you have the option to use the modification.
- Great for beginners
- Ability to stream workouts
- Maybe too slow for more advanced yogis
Beachbody 21 Day Fix Workout Program with 7 Piece Portion Control containers
- Lose up to 15 pounds in 21 days
- Lose up to 15 pounds in 21 days
- Easy-to-follow 21-day portion control system with 7 color-coded food containers
- 7 total 30-minute workouts on 2 DVDs
- Includes helpful resources such as the 21 Day Fix Eating Plan and 3 Day Quick Fix
3.6 Out of 5 Stars
21 Day Fix is a workout and eating plan system that promises you will lose up to 15 pounds in just 21 days. Not only does 21 Day Fix work to help you drop weight quickly, but it also teaches you healthy eating practices and informs you of appropriate portion sizes. It is technically a three-week program, but users have found implementing the eating practices given and keeping up with the exercise routine moderately leaves them with longer lasting results than just the three week time period it is marketed for.
You can purchase 21 Day Fix for around $$ dollars.
ease of use
Because this program is also an eating guide, what is includedis slightly different than other workout programs. Included when you purchase this program are two DVDs with six total workouts, seven color-coded containers that are designed to help teach you about and implement portion control, a starter guide, and a food plan guide.
For this program, you exercise for thirty minutes a day for seven days over the course of three weeks. This is a get in shape fast program and it is vigorous. Throughout the three weeks, you will be doing a mixture of cardio, strength, and recovery workouts. The main premise is to get you in the routine and mindset of working out every day. Working out seven days a week is not realistic for most people, so after the three weeks, individuals have found using the programs exercise system four or five times a week helps them stay fit.Included is also a full eating program. It is not a diet per se, but more of a healthy eating lifestyle guide.
- Eating guide included
- Lose weight quick
- Not sustainable following the full program, but it is sustainable if you make modifications after the first three weeks
The P90X Yoga exercise system puts itself at the top with some of the most impressive home workout yoga companies. If you are looking for a system that builds strength and endurance while improving flexibility and posture, P90x Yoga may be the program for you.