If your body is in need of cleansing, you may want to consider doing a detox. Detoxing and body cleansing, though often focusing on different parts of the body (internally), both do the same thing – remove toxins and waste from the body.
While your first thought at the mention of detox may be of rehab facilities, here it’s referring to removing toxins – both internal (from food and smoking) and external (from air pollution).
Detoxing and cleansing also help promote weight loss.
What is Detoxification?
Detox is simply a shortened version of the word detoxification. Through the process of the liver, the human body naturally detoxifies itself on a regular basis. The liver works to neutralize toxins and then removes them from the body.
While the liver, as well as the lymphatic system, work to remove toxins and waste, some of that stuff still gets blocked up, especially in the colon. This is where detoxing and cleansing come in.
Detoxing on your own uses body detox drinks or supplements to flush your system.
How Do Toxins Get in the Body?
There are many different types of toxins finding their way into your body, in many different ways.
There are both internal and external toxins. External toxins can include air pollution, while internal toxins include pesticides on your food.
Here is an overview of toxins and how they’re finding their way into your body.
1. External Toxins
There are hundreds of external toxins affecting your body on a daily basis. The only way you could possibly avoid them and keep them out of your body would be to live in a bubble.
Internal toxins are their own pain in the gut, and you’ll read about those next.
First, let’s take a look at the list of toxins that are seeping through your skin, hitching a ride on the food you eat, and sneaking into your body through the very air you breathe.
- Environmental Pollutants – Pollutants from the environment include smog, any kind of debris in the air, and even smoke (from fires and from cigarettes).
- Poor Air Quality – There’s more to air quality than just the pollutants you find outdoors. Poor ventilation inside can cause respiratory issues and put toxins into the air you breathe too.
- UV radiation – The sun damages your skin, your eyes, and more – but you can protect yourself by wearing hats, sunglasses, and sunblock.
- Mold – Mold is a toxic substance found in many homes and buildings. The toxins from it can build up in your system causing breathing issues and even asthma.
- Contaminated Water/Food – There are many ways in which contaminants can get into the things you consume. These contaminants can include heavy metals, animal feces and hair/fur, and more.
- Heavy metals – Metals can get in your food from the soil that plants are grown in, as well as through the containers they are stored in. This is one reason why you may want to stop eating food in cans.
- Bisphenol A – This is a nasty substance found in both plastic cups and plastic bottles. If you’re going to use plastic, read the label first (and only use reusable plastic items that stay in your home and not in the landfills).
- Mercury – Mercury is found in fish and is the reason you should only eat three servings of fish a week.
- Chemicals in Cleaners – There are chemicals in the cleaners you use at home that are harming your system. Buy things made naturally, or make your own with ingredients that don’t pollute the air.
Just as the body naturally produces many of the vitamins and nutrients it needs for optimal health, it also produces toxins that damage your health. It has its own systems set up to remove these toxins, and help you heal. However, sometimes a toxic build-up can cause your body to quit doing the job on its own.
When your body begins to fail to do the job of detoxifying on its own, you notice because digestion is working as well and you begin to feel fatigued more often. It’s at this point that you will want to consider doing a cleanse or detox.
While the idea of your body poisoning itself may seem kind of crazy, here are some of the internal toxins that may be building up in your system right now. This is just a fragment of all the things that are going on in your body. When you don’t have enough good cells and probiotics, all sorts of strange stuff can go on internally.
- Allergic Reactions – Your body can be allergic and sensitive to certain things, including enzymes and proteins in the foods you eat. When you eat something your body doesn’t like it takes toxic maneuvers to fight it. Some allergens include dairy, wheat, gluten, and eggs.
- Chronic Infections – Not all illness come and go, some stick around and cause trouble. Chronic sinus issues, chronic pain, and other chronic problems can be stressful and add more issues to your life.
How to Safely Detox
Use detox systems that have been proven to work.
You can make a juice cleanse and do the whole thing DIY, using herbs, fruits, and vegetables that target kidney and liver health.
Or you can purchase a reputable product, like Detoxify Instant Clean, that is specially formulated to clean your system and remove the toxins you’ve just learned about.